The holidays are a wonderful time of year that we get to enjoy with friends and family. However, all that socializing often leads to a whole lot of alcohol consumption. You probably had a great time the night before, but when you wake up in the morning with a massive headache and an angry stomach, try these quick fixes:
1. Fruit: Eating fruit or drinking fruit juice may help to relieve some hangover symptoms. According to the National Institutes of Health, fructose, a natural sugar found in fruit, can help to clear alcohol out of your body faster. Additionally, fruits are a great source of potassium, which is an electrolyte that helps restore your fluid balance and combat symptoms of dehydration.
2. Starchy carbohyrates: According to the journal Alcohol Health & Research World, some toast or saltine crackers can work wonders on relieving symptoms of nausea and help restore your blood sugar to normal levels.
3. Fluids, fluids, fluids. It’s no secret that alcohol causes dehyration, which ultimately causes your body to lose water (especially if you are sick to your stomach). Try rehydrating with water, sports drinks, or even a quick fruit smoothie.
4. Chicken Soup: Salt and potassium found in bouillon-based chicken soup can help replace lost electrolytes, and relieve symptoms of dehydration. Add even more veggies to your chicken soup to boost the potassium content.
5. Caffeine: Catch a different kind of buzz. Sipping on some coffee can help combat symptoms of fatigue.
Article source: http://www.eatingwell.com/blogs/health_blog/got_a_hangover_eat_this