As a Wildcat Fitness member, you’re already on your way to achieving your weight management goals, but did you know that there are some simple, everyday foods that can help boost your results? Brierley Wright, a registered dietitian and nutrition editor with Eating Well.com, suggests trying these 8 simple foods to help you with your weight-loss efforts:
1. Mushrooms: Mushrooms are a great substitute for an animal protein such as beef or chicken in a meal. Research has shown that folks who eat mushrooms as the main ingredient in their entree felt just as satisfied, while only consuming a fraction of the calories.
2. Eggs: Eggs are often confusing for most dieters, as there is often conflicting information about the pros and cons of eating eggs. However, one study has shown that folks who ate eggs for breakfast felt fuller longer and lost twice as much weight than those who ate a bagel for breakfast. Concerned about cholesterol? Try scrambling your eggs with two egg whites and one whole egg. It’s a great source of protein and only has about 4 grams of fat and 141 mg of cholesterol.
3. Apples: We all know the saying “an apple a day keeps the doctor away,” but an apple a day may also accelerate your weight loss efforts, today! Apples are an excellent source of fiber, which research has shown the important role fiber plays in preventing weight gain, and possibly even encouraging weight loss.
4. Light desserts: Dessert as a possible way to loose weight? This idea seems absurd! However, a study demonstrates that folks who ban all sugary foods while dieting may be at risk for over-eating. The rationale behind this is because eliminating sweet foods causes the brain to release corticotropin-releasing factor (CRF), which is produced when you’re afraid, stressed, or anxious. Increased levels of CRF may also lower your desire to stick to healthy foods, thus making you more likely binge on not-so-healthy foods. The recommendation? Give in to the urge for a small sweet treat (about 100 calories) a few times a week. It just might help you lose more pounds in the long run!
5. Soup: Starting your meal out with a bowl of vegetable soup just might help you lose weight. One study showed that folks who began their meal with a bowl of vegetable soup ate 20% fewer calories throughout the rest of their meal.
6. Oatmeal: Starting your day out with a bowl of oatmeal before your morning workout is a great way to even out your blood sugar levels. Studies show that if you eat something like white toast for breakfast, this causes your blood sugar to rise and stimulates the release of insulin. When released, insulin signals the body to store fat, while having lower levels of insulin may help your body to burn fat.
7. Hot Chile Peppers: One study demonstrates that folks who ate a small amount of hot peppers 30 minutes before a meal actually helped them feel less hungry and eat about 10% less.
8. Almonds: Chewing on almonds, literally, may help you feel fuller longer. A study with the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition showed that folks who chewed almonds for 40 times (as opposed to 10 or 25 times) got maximum satisfaction and felt fuller longer. The rationale? Chewing on almonds for a longer period of time may help to release more fat from the nuts and trigger hormones that curb hunger.
Article Source: http://www.eatingwell.com/nutrition_health/weight_loss_diet_plans/diet_exercise_tips/8_secret_weapon_foods_for_weight_loss?page=9